PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
A range of research and development and commercialization incentives underpin Ontario’s commitment to achieving excellence in developing clean water solutions:
- Scientific Research and Experimental Development Tax Incentive Program - Canada
The largest single source of federal support for industrial research and development investment tax credits.
- Ontario Research & Development Tax Credit
Provincial tax credit for scientific research and experimental development expenditures.
- 4.5 % non-refundable tax credit for expenditures incurred in Ontario
- Ontario Innovation Tax Credit
Qualifying scientific research and experimental development (SR&ED) expenditures include 100% of current expenses and 40% of capital expenditures in Ontario.
- A 10% refundable tax credit for SR&ED expenditures. The maximum annual credit is $300,000
- Ontario Business Research Institute Tax Credit
A refundable tax credit for corporations incurring expenditures under a contract with an eligible research institute.
- 20% tax credit of up to $4 million per year
- Ontario Innovation Demonstration Fund
Secured repayable or forgivable loans; secured incentive term loans, royalty agreements and equity participation to help commercialize innovative technologies.
- Up to 50 percent of eligible costs for approved projects, ranging from a minimum of $100K to $4 million
- Eastern Ontario Development Fund
Businesses that invest $500,000 or more in qualified projects that create at least 10 jobs over five years are eligible for up to 15 per cent support. Firms must be located in Eastern Ontario and employ at least 10 people.
- Grant up to 15 per cent of the total eligible expenses to a maximum of $1.5 million per project.
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
Approximately $100 million under the Southern Ontario Development Program. Financial assistance supports competitiveness and productivity, innovation and commercialization, and economic diversification of the region.
- Funds 50 percent of eligible capital project costs and 75 percent of eligible non-capital projects
- Business Development Bank of Canada
A complementary government lender that augments services available from commercial financial institutions.
- Multiple financing solutions
- Export Development Corporation
As Canada's export credit agency, this crown corporation offers financing, credit insurance and bonding solutions to Canadian exporters and investors to expand their international business.
- Various financing and risk management programs
- Community Futures Program
Repayable federal support in locally administered funds for community economic development.
- $150,000 repayable financing (exceptions may apply)
Venture Capital Incentives
- Ontario Emerging Technologies Fund
A $250 million fund to co-invest alongside qualified investors into innovative, high-growth Ontario companies.
- Up to $5 million a year initial investment to leverage private sector capital in clean technology, life sciences and advanced health technologies, digital media, information and communications technology sectors. The program will make a direct co-investment into a successful company alongside the qualified investor.
- Ontario Venture Capital Fund
A $205 million fund of funds that invests in qualified underlying funds. These underlying funds subsequently make investments into high-growth companies in IT, life science/healthcare and clean tech industries. For a list of venture capital funds active in Ontario under this program, go to the "Fund Finder" tab.
Employment - Training Incentives
- Industrial R & D Fellowships
Financial assistance for companies to hire recent doctoral graduates in science and engineering to conduct research and development in industries.
- Contributes $30,000 per year for two years towards the PhD research fellow's salary.